References must be submitted by the deadline 31 January
Your referees will be contacted and will be allowed to submit the reference only after you have completed and registered the first step of the online application form including the names and contact details of referees. In order to receive the references in time by the deadline 31 January, you should register the referee details as soon as possible. This is possible any time and you do not yet need to submit the final version of your application at that time.
Applicants to the Department of Law, History and Civilization, Political and Social Sciences must register two referees. Applicants to the Department of Economics three referees.
When you register your referees' contact details in the online application form, an email requesting a reference on your behalf - featuring an online submission link and relevant instructions - is automatically sent to the referees. Nevertheless, it is your responsibility to contact referees directly to inform them of your request, to verify that they have received the email request and to ensure that they submit the reference by the deadline of 31 January. You can check the status of submission of each reference letter directly on the online application form. Referees are not able to consult your online application details (except your name and the programme you applied for).
Please note that reference letters can be submitted by the registered referees (before the deadline) even after you have submitted your application.
References must be submitted by academic referees (ie: Professors, Lectures etc.) who are in a position to give an academic evaluation of your research, intellectual qualities, ability and potential.
Letters of reference from current full-time or part-time EUI professors are not accepted except:
- where the application is from a researcher already registered for an EUI degree (i.e. transfer from LL.M. to Ph.D.)
- where the professor is a member of a different EUI department to the one where the candidate is applying, and who is able to comment on the academic qualities of the candidate
For further information please also see: FAQ - References
Note for Referees
At the moment when the candidate has registered the referee's details, you as the referee will receive an automated e-mail with access details for submitting your reference letter through a dedicated online portal. The system guarantees full confidentiality of the documents submitted which are not accessible to candidates. Candidates can however directly verify the status of the submission of the reference letter on their application form.
- You should give your opinion of the candidate's intellectual ability, knowledge in his/her field, motivation for research, capacity to work in a group, oral and written expression.
- Please note that only PDF documents (maximum file size limit is 1.00 MB) can be submitted. Please do not send password protected or secured files.
- You may use your own reference format.
- Do not send a hard copy.
- You may write in a language other than English, but English will guarantee the widest possible reading.
If you have any problems submitting the file or require assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the Admissions Office at the following dedicated e-mail address: ReferenceRES@EUI.eu
References are accepted until 31 January. Kindly note that the EUI encourages candidates to apply and register their referees as early as possible: the EUI post-graduate application process is open from early November to 31 January.